Rafael Kubelik, Orchestre de Paris, Wiener Philharmoniker, The Cleveland Orchestra – Beethoven: Symphonies 6, 7 & 8 (1973-75) [Reissue 2017]
SACD Rip | 2x SACD ISO | DST64 2.0 & 5.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 54:59 minutes | Scans included | 4,49 GB
or FLAC 2.0 Stereo(converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/96 kHz | Full Scans included | 2,15 GB
Features Stereo and Quadrophonic Surround Sound | PentaTone # PTC 5186 250
PentaTone’s third release from Rafael Kubelik’s acclaimed Beethoven cycle of symphonies in its Remastered Classics series is his commanding reading of the sixth, seventh and eighth symphonies performed by the Orchestre de Paris, the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra, and the Cleveland Orchestra.
Rafael Kubelik recorded his cycle of Beethoven symphonies in the 1970s for Deutsche Grammophon, each with a different orchestra, earning widespread praise. Although recorded in multi-channel sound, these unmissable performances have previously been available only in the conventional two-channel stereo format. Using state of the art technology which avoids the need for re-mixing, PENTATONE’s engineers have remastered the original studio tapes to bring the performances to life as originally intended: in compelling and pristine multi-channel sound.
This is an essential Pastoral, wrote ClassicsToday about Kubelik’s interpretation of Beethoven’s enchanting and evocative sixth symphony, “an irresistibly sumptuous orchestral timbre … the ensemble balance is simply remarkable, allowing virtually every individual instrumental line (particularly Beethoven’s marvellous woodwind writing) to emerge clearly. Radiant, energetic and pulsating with driving rhythms, the seventh symphony is one of Beethoven’s most exuberant works, realised with panache here with the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra.
Sometimes known as the “hymn to humour”, the genial eighth symphony sits as an intriguing gem between the imposing seventh and stupendous ninth symphonies. In a performance described as “light-footed and bristling with energy” (AllMusic), Kubelik captures the work’s essentially irreverent spirit with vibrant and colourful playing from the Cleveland Orchestra.
01. Symphony No.6 in F, Op.68 – “Pastoral” – Allegro ma non troppo
02. Symphony No.6 in F, Op.68 – “Pastoral” – Andante molto mosso
03. Symphony No.6 in F, Op.68 – “Pastoral” – Allegro
04. Symphony No.6 in F, Op.68 – “Pastoral” – Allegro
05. Symphony No.6 in F, Op.68 – “Pastoral” – Allegretto
01. Symphony No.7 in A, Op.92 – Poco sostenuto – Vivace
02. Symphony No.7 in A, Op.92 – Allegretto
03. Symphony No.7 in A, Op.92 – Presto – Assai meno presto
04. Symphony No.7 in A, Op.92 – Allegro con brio
05. Symphony No.8 in F, Op.93 – Allegro vivace e con brio
06. Symphony No.8 in F, Op.93 – Allegretto scherzando
07. Symphony No.8 in F, Op.93 – Tempo di menuetto
08. Symphony No.8 in F, Op.93 – Allegro vivace
Orchestre de Paris (All Tracks on Disc One)
Wiener Philharmoniker (Tracks “1-4” on Disc 2)
The Cleveland Orchestra (Tracks “5-8” on Disc 2)
Rafael Kubelik – Conductor
Recorded in January 1973 at Salle Wagram, Paris (All Tracks on Disc One)
and in Septemver 1974 at Grosser Saal, Musikverein, Vienna, 1975 (Tracks “1-4” on Disc 2)
and in March 1975 at GSeverance Hall, Cleveland (Tracks “5-8” on Disc 2)
Original Quadrophonic Recording. Remastered in 2017.