Yo-Yo Ma & Kathryn Stott – La Belle Epoque (2003)
SACD Rip | SACD ISO | DST64 2.0 & 5.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 65:53 minutes | Scans included (PDF) | 3,18 GB
or FLAC 2.0 Stereo (converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/96 kHz | Scans included (PDF) | 1,29 GB
Features Stereo and Multichannel Surround Sound
This release takes us to the fashionable salons of late 19th-century Paris. Superstar cellist Yo-Yo Ma and pianist Kathryn Stott partner in this album of elegant French chamber music aptly titled “Paris: La Belle Époque”. The recording features a combination of major works and well-known shorter pieces, all transcribed from their original versions for violin. The Faure Violin Sonata #1 and Franck Violin Sonata in A Major both take on a rich, warm character in cello transcription, and Massenet’s ever-popular “Meditation from Thais” and Saint-Saens’ exotic Havanaise work equally well as arranged by Ma. The cello and piano playing are both top-notch in this recording – refined and elegant overall, yet dramatic and exciting when called for (particularly in the Franck). It’s not surprising that Stott and Ma’s previous collaboration, “Soul of the Tango”, won a Grammy.
01. Massenet: Meditation from Thaïs
02. Fauré: Sonata No. 1 in A Major for Violin and Piano, Op. 13 – Allegro molto
03. Fauré: Sonata No. 1 in A Major for Violin and Piano, Op. 13 – II. Andante
04. Fauré: Sonata No. 1 in A Major for Violin and Piano, Op. 13 – III. Allegro vivo
05. Fauré: Sonata No. 1 in A Major for Violin and Piano, Op. 13 – IV. Allegro quasi presto
06. Saint-Saëns: Havanaise, Op. 83
07. Franck: Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano – I. Allegretto ben moderato
08. Franck: Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano – II. Allegro
09. Franck: Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano – III. Recitativo – Fantasia: Ben moderato
10. Franck: Sonata in A Major for Violin and Piano – IV. Allegretto poco mosso
Yo-Yo Ma – cello
Kathryn Stott – piano
Produced by Steven Epstein. DSD Authoring Engineer: Robert Wolff.
Recorded on January 28 – February 1 , 2003 at Mechanic Hall, Worchester, Massachusetts.