Sir Colin Davis, Symphonie-Orchester des Bayerischen Rundfunks – Tchaikovsky & Dvořák: Serenades for Strings (1988)
SACD Rip | SACD ISO | DSD64 2.0 > 1-bit/2.8224 MHz | 64:08 min | Basic Scans incl. | 2,62 GB
or FLAC (converted with foobar2000 to tracks) 24bit/48 kHz | Basic Scans included | 707 MB
Japanese SACD Reissue 2017 | Deutsche Grammmophon / Esoteric Company, Japan # ESSD-90179
Sir Colin Davis conducts the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra for performances of Tchaikovsky’s Serenade For Strings in C major and Dvorak’s Serenade For Strings in E major. This reissue series of classical music masterpieces by Esoteric has attracted a lot of attention, both for its uncompromising commitment to recreating the original master sound. This series marks the first hybrid SACD release of historical recording selections that have been mainstays of the catalog since their initial release.
These performances are among the two or three best currently available of this familiar music. Colin Davis gets superb, finely colored playing from his Bavarian string section, with excellent, balanced ensemble. Not merely satisfied to present yet another recording of these thrice-familiar masterpieces, Davis gets inside the music in every phrase, seeing it in a clear, classical way, wholly consistent with both composers intentions. The Romantic flame is still there, but burning with a tight, jem-like fire which lights up form, motific development, and inner lines in a natural, balanced way. This should satisfy both classicist and Romantic in a way many other performances cannot. Fellow Brit Neville Marriner recorded equally fine performances of these pieces, but Davis’s somewhat larger string ensemble, especially when it’s so well recorded, has its points, too. This is another great recording which should stay in the active catalog.
01. Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings in C major, Op.48 – 1. Pezzo in forma di sonatina: Andante non troppo – Allegro moderato
02. Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings in C major, Op.48 – 2. Waltz: Moderato (Tempo di valse)
03. Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings in C major, Op.48 – 3. Elegie: Larghetto elegiaco
04. Tchaikovsky: Serenade for Strings in C major, Op.48 – 4. Finale (Tema russo): Andante – Allegro con spirito
05. Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, Op.22 – 1. Moderato
06. Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, Op.22 – 2. Tempo di valse
07. Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, Op.22 – 3. Scherzo (Vivace)
08. Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, Op.22 – 4. Larghetto
09. Dvořák: Serenade for Strings in E major, Op.22 – 5. Finale (Allegro vivace)
Recorded on January 5-8, 1987 (Tchaikovsky) and October 15-16, 1986 (Dvořák) at Herkulessaal, München.
Re-Mastering Producer: Motoaki Ohmachi (ESOTERIC Company)
DSD Mastering Engineer: Kazuie Sugimoto (Victor Creative Media Co., Ltd. Mastering Center)
The criterion of re-mastering is to faithfully capture the quality of the original master. ESOTERIC’s flag ship D/A converters, model D-01VU, Rubidium master clock generator model Grandioso G1 and ESOTERIC MEXCEL interconnect cables and power cords, were all used for this re-mastering session. This combination of highly advanced technology greatly contributed to capturing the high quality sound of the original master.